Transferring To/From SFCC


Students Transferring To SFCC

Whether you’re a new, transfer, or returning SFCC student, the application and transfer process is the same for everyone. You must request official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have previously attended.  Having your transcripts helps us advise you about the classes you qualify to take and the classes that will best help you meet your goals.


  • A Great Education! — SFCC offers exceptional education opportunities at a fraction of the cost of a university.
  • Classes That Transfer — The college has transfer agreements with a number of schools.  You may review our agreements here.  
  • Convenient Schedules and Locations — We are here for you!  With classes offered during the day, at night, on weekends and online, SFCC makes it easy to balance school, work and family.

  • Apply online here.

  • Submit official transcripts from your high school, GED program, and any other colleges you have previously attended.

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    • Contact the SFCC Financial Aid Office for other scholarship opportunities.

  • Meet with your SFCC advisor.  Schedule your appointment here.

    • Bring an unofficial copy of your transcripts to the meeting.

    • Your advisor will help you determine if any placement tests are needed.

Students Transferring From SFCC

Transferring is easier than you might think, especially if you are transferring to another school within New Mexico.  Colleges and universities statewide have aligned their course numbers among the different institutions in New Mexico.  What this means for you is a more seamless transition and evaluation of credits as you transfer from one school to another.
When you transfer to a university, you can apply your SFCC course credits toward a bachelor’s degree program.
If you plan to transfer, make sure that you map your path to completion.  There are two types of associate degrees offered at SFCC:
  • Associate in Applied Sciences Degrees (A.A.S.) for students who want to prepare for a specific career or technical field.
    • This degree is NOT designed for transfer
  • Associate in Arts/Associate in Science Degrees (A.A./A.S.) for students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university

If you’re planning to transfer, make sure to declare an A.A. or an A.S. degree.  SFCC advisors can assist you with selecting the correct major.

Click here to schedule a one-on-one appointment with an SFCC advisor today!

  • Meet with your advisor for a degree audit.

    • Click here to schedule an appointment with your advisor.

  • Explore colleges online and identify schools you are interested in . The resources and virtual tours are incredible and you can obtain a lot of information. New Mexico College and University Links

    *This list does not include every institution in New Mexico

  • Apply for admission. Most applications for admission can be completed on-line.
  • Attend the SFCC Transfer Fair held every spring.  You can meet with representatives from different schools to gather information about the different programs available.  The application fee is usually waived if you apply during the Transfer Fair.

  • Request your official SFCC transcripts to be forwarded to the institution you plan to attend. You may request your official transcript through MySFCC.

    • If you have attended more than one school, the school that issues the grade must issue the transcript.

  • Submit your official high school or GED transcript to the institution you plan to attend. These records are permanently kept at the State Department of Education, in the capital city of the state from which you received your GED or high school diploma. 
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Contact your new school’s Financial Aid Office for additional scholarship and financial aid opportunities.
  • The school you transfer to will ultimately decide which of your SFCC credits will apply to their programs.  Meet with an advisor at the new college early in the transfer process to understand which of your SFCC credits will apply to your Bachelor’s degree.